Heat gun price?

Jeff Stickney jpage@selway.umt.edu
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 19:11:34 -0700 (MST)

Yo John-
        How are you doing?  Oops, bidness first.  You might consider one of
those butane powered heat gun/torches.  They provide very high heat but do
not have a flame.  They can be used (I believe) for soldering as well as the
usual hammer aligning, etc.  They are also smaller and more portable than
the Ungar.  My Ungar burned out about a year ago and I was able to order and
install a new element, but if I had known about the butane torch thingy I
probably would have gone for it instead, - and may yet.  I think they are
$80-90 or so.  Spurlock (of course) had one, and could give you info on
where to get them and how much.  And when you find out, let me know!
        Did you have a happy holiday?  Was Santa good to you?  We've had
more snow out here than ever - I've been really bonding with my snow shovel.
Breaking records like crazy - most drainages have 150-190% of their usual
snow already, and it's only mid-January.  I've been ouut skiing a few times,
but need to do more.  Unfortunately, it's also tuning time at the Music
Dept. :-(
        Well, good luck on the heat gun.  I think the higher price is what I
remember, so you may be stuck with that if you get the Ungar.  By the way,
do have a SAT now?  I've been thinking about making the plunge.  Talk at you
later.

>	I'm getting ready to purchase an Ungar heat gun and checked with
>Pianotek on their price...it is $158.00! APSCO has it listed for $48.00!
>Anyone know why their is such a great difference? Last one I purchased
>was around $70 I believe. I suspect that APSCO may be doing a
>substitution of some kind. Thanks for any help.
>
>Please email me directly as I am not currently subscribed to PIANOTECH.
>
>John Minor
>jminor@uiuc.edu

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana