Monochord (Made in occupied Japan)

Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:16:27 -0800

Dave,

You'll probably get a bunch of posts from other nostalgia buffs on this one.

The piano you're looking at was a stencil originally sold by "Manning's Big
Red Piano House" in Los Angeles.  Although I've heard conflicting reports
in more recent years, the story around LA years ago was that these things
were built under contract by Yamaha.  It's really hard to tell in some
cases, as so much manufacture in "occupied Japan" was done under
contract/subcontract/dummy and/or offshore corporations.

I do know that Yamaha used to manufacture instruments generally as you have
described, but they were mostly home market items.

You might contact Fred Odenheimer (LA Chapter) for more information.
Freddie has forgotten more of that kind of thing than most of us can even
dream of...

Best

Horace

At 02:23 PM 1/10/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
>Recently I was asked by a local music store to findo out more information,
>including the age and approximate value of an unusual piano.
>
>The piano is a small 64 note piano.
>The Nameboard says------------------->  Established 1910
>                                    "At sign of Big Red Piano"
>                                           Monochord
>                                          Los Angeles
>
>The serial number is #13879, which according to the Pierce Piano Atlas would
>list the manufacturing date of 1950.  Inside the piano in two different
>places it is stamped "Made in occupied Japan".  The piano is about 42" tall,
>and the case is light brown, in surprisingly good shape.  The strings and
>tuning pins have light to medium rust buildup.  The soundboard and bridges
>look good, but the action needs regulated and reconditioned. (Needs hammers
>shaped, keybed felts, bridle straps, and let-off cloth punchings replaced).
>
>The piano has 64 notes:  24 single wrapped bass strings (1 per unison)
>                         20 treble strings  (1 per unison)
>                         20 treble strings  (2 per unison)
>
>Can anyone shed more light on this piano and it's history?  Also, what would
>be an approximate market value in an as-is condition?
>
>Thanks muchly!
>
>David Vanderhoofven
>
>David A. Vanderhoofven
>Joplin, Missouri, USA
>Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
>e-mail:  dkvander@clandjop.com
>web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/
>#pianotech page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/ircpiano.html

Horace Greeley