The Piano Finish

waco@ari.net waco@ari.net
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:18:01 -0500

I've had so many requests, I will post the details here.

Although I have not tried this finish in its entirety, I would imagine
that a paste filler could be used in step 5., and that steel wool would
work as well as or better than sand paper for most of the sanding steps.

The Piano Finish

1.  Sand with the wood grain using 6/0 paper until smooth. Raise grain by wiping
with damp cloth, sand again.

2.  Remove dust with a lint free cloth, wipe lightly with a cloth dampened with
alcohol.

3.  Apply water stain, allow to penetrate and dry for 24 hours.

4.  Apply a washcoat of shellac, 3-pound cut to four parts denatured alcohol.

5.  Brush on a thin filler of stained 4F pumice, linseed oil and washcoat
shellac.  Allow 24 hours to dry.

6.  Sand the surface with a fine grade of sandpaper.  Sand with the grain.

7.  Wipe with lint free cloth, remove all dust.

8.  Apply shellac, 2 parts denatured alcohol to 5 parts 3-pound cut.

9.  Allow the shellac two to three hours to dry.

10.  Lightly sand with fine paper.  Patch dents/scratches with shellac stick.
sand again with fine paper.

11. Remove all dust with a lint-free cloth.

12.  Apply coat of shellac as in step 8.

13.  Repeat steps 8 through 11 as necessary to obtain the desired gloss.  Three
or four coats should do.  RUB EACH COAT with 4F pumice and raw linseed oil.

14.  Allow the surface to dry three or four days.

15.  Apply the final coat of shellac, allow sufficient time to dry, then rub
with rottensone, felt pad, and raw linseed oil.

16.  Clean surface by wiping with a soft, lint-free cloth.

17.  Wax with a carnauba wax, polish with soft cloth.

This surface is described as: having a near perfect gloss or "eggshell" like
apperance.

Hope this information is useful.

Frank Weston