Refinishing Vintage Steinways

waco@ari.net waco@ari.net
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:22:41 -0500

> Frank,
>When you say "soluble", do you mean immediately? Does an alcohol-ly rag grab
>when you wipe across the finish?
>Bob Davis

Bob,  It's shellac.  I have begun a process of reamalgamation, and the surface
is coming back beautifully.  I'm rubbing with a pad containing shellac and a
drop or two of linseed oil.  Lots work, but worth it.

Now I have another problem (or two).  The legs, and lyre are maple with a faux
figure and color to match the case.  Reamalgamation may remove the faux pattern.
Any ideas for restoring this surface?

Final problem.  The music desk is shellac, but the music holder is finished in
something else, as are the external surfaces of the platforms where the legs
mount.  No amount of alcohol will reamalgamate these surfaces.  Lacuer thinner
dissolves this surface, but it is risky to assume it can be redone properly with
shellac.  Ideas?