Conn Vertical

James E DeRocher staffordmusic@juno.com
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 14:36:49 -0800 (PST)

Re buying pianos off the back of a truck .. .. ..

The Conn piano was made by Kimball, the last I heard.  I don't know who,
if anyone,
is now making this instrument.  I have serviced some very very poorly
made Conn
pianos in the past, none lately.  From time-to-time an ad appears in our
local papers
seeking "responsible person to assume payments on a new piano" along with
an
800 number.  Sometime after the respondent telephones the 800 number a
truck
will pull up and the driver gives a story, such as the piano was
repossessed from
newlyweds who had a fight and split up.  Interestingly enough when the
(gullible ?)
party purchases the piano the driver usually unpacks the bench from its
original
carton.  Hmmm?

Anyway, this kind of deal is not always such a good deal when the
customer calls the
800 with a complaint and discovers that the number has been discontinued.
Too bad.

Signed:  A local dealer who services what he sells.

Jim DeRocher