Lo bass tuning

Ted Simmons ted@palmnet.net
Wed, 08 Jan 1997 20:44:47 -0400

I need some help.  I tuned a Kimball laPetite a month ago using my SAT and
the customer called me back complaining about the low bass being out of
tune.  When I got to her house I set up the SAT with the previously
determined FAC numbers and checked A0, B0,A#0 and C1.  They were right on.
She insisted that they were sharp.  To prove it she went to C#5 and
compared it to A#0 and told me that it was tuned sharp and matched C#5. It
really did sound that way. I took the SAT out of FAC mode and checked the
double octave, the octave 5th and the double octave 5th against the low
notes.  They checked out O.K.  It seems that no matter what I did she
insisted that the low notes were sharp.  So, working on A#0 I told her to
tell me when she thinks it sounds o.k.   I lowered it to where the string
sagged and she still called it sharp.  I told her I would place this
problem on the Pianotech net and see if they can help me out.   Anyone have
any ideas on what my next step should be?  I'd appreciate any helpful
comments.

Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL