Mirror Pianos

RPSPIANO@aol.com RPSPIANO@aol.com
Wed, 08 Jan 1997 12:03:59 -0500 (EST)

<<
 >Bill Maxim, RPT writes:

  we have a Kluttz Piano Company here that
 >used to cut down those upright pianos into mirror pianos.
 >
 >Were uprights cut down into mirror pianos in other areas of the U.S.?

My mentor Cloyd Cook (who invented Cooks adjustable upright sticker)
told me years ago, that during the WWII years there were several
companies selling kits to "modernize" the look of old uprights.
Few pianos were being produced due to the war effort and this
kept some piano tech busy.
Voila the mirror pianos. The best known to me is the kit sold as
the "MirraPiano" it even came with its own decal along with
a pair of free standing front legs and hardware.
 The towblocks were cut off and original front legs removed.
Through the course of years I have seen dozens of these
and others that appear as homemade copies. It seems
strange to us now but put bread on the table for techs.
 There must have been a market for these rehab instruments.
Strange as that may have been I have also seen three uprights
that had been turned into spinets --- but thats another story.

Mark Ritchie RPT
Cols, OH