Refinishing Vintage Steinways

waco@ari.net waco@ari.net
Wed, 08 Jan 1997 08:55:19 -0500

I have just come into possession of a 1917 Steinway model A III 6'4/2" grand.
Mechanically and musically it is in wonderful shape, 100% Steinway parts, almost
unused since a restoration by John Travis about 17 years ago (the owner/player
died within a few months of the restoration, and the piano has been little
played since).

My question for this list is on the case restoration.  This case is a beautiful
"fiddleback" pattern American mahogany, and finished with a polished shellac.
It would be a sin not to try to preserve/match this old finish.  The lid,
fallboard, and interior are in showroom condition, the music desk, legs, lyre,
and case sides are alligatored.  Because of the beauty of the surviving finish,
I would like to restore the case as much as possible without striping and with
shellac, matching as closely as possible the original.

Can anyone offer information as to the process originally employed by Steinway
for this finish?

Can anyone offer suggestions as to how to go about restoring the alligatored
sections.

Does anyone have any information on working with and restoring posished shellac
finishes on pianos?

Up to this point, I've been a strip, stain, and spray lacquer kind of guy, and
have not paid to much attention to the "antique" value of a finish.  This one is
special.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Frank Weston