Tuners--Broken Pins <"Re: Tuners--Broken Pins"@niflheim.rutgers.edu> (Jan 7, 12:18pm)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Wed, 08 Jan 1997 08:17:18 -0500

Upside down tuning pin was driven out from the underside with a steel tool,
short and a stringing hammer used sideways.  This was some 25 to 30 years ago
so I don't remember what tool we used.

My reason for doing so was to save the hole from excessive damage.  There were
to threads so it could not be turned out.

Because of this one experience my thinking is the same for a pin broken off at
the plate or with little or no stub for an easy out to work.  Any broken off
tuning pin will be out of round and would cause excessive damage to the block.

That tool mentioned would be good for driving pins through, especially in an
upright to drive the pin in far enough to get another pin on top of the broken
off pin.  Something I have heard done from time to time.

I still like my from bottom up idea.

	Newton
	nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu