Mason & Risch Serial Numbers

Aaron Bousel abousel@rocler.qc.ca
Tue, 07 Jan 1997 23:19:52 -0500

I've been working on a Mason & Risch vertical player and have run into a bit
of confusion regarding the serial number, or numbers.  Here's what I found:

37284 - Stenciled on the plate (where one would expect to find the serial
number), stamped on the bass cheek, and on the upper player stack.
According to Pierce this number dates it to 1920.

29796 - Stamped on the soundboard.  According to Pierce-1912

1910 - Stamped on the back of the action.  I assume it's a M&R action as it
has the metal enclosed let-off rail.

>From the above information, I'm assuming that 29796 is the serial number.
What I'm wondering, is if anyone knows anything about M&R's practice of
assigning numbers and why the 37284 number is stenciled prominently on the
plate when it appears to nothing more than a factory identification number,
while the actual serial number (if I'm guessing correctly) is tucked away at
the bass end of the soundboard several inches above the keybed.

Regards,

Aaron Bousel
Ormstown, QC  Canada
abousel@rocler.qc.ca