going full-time

Mark Graham magraham@baldwinw.edu
Tue, 07 Jan 1997 08:24:53 -0500 (EST)

Another viewpoint:

I have been a 20-hour a week technician at Baldwin-Wallace College
Conservatory of Music for 5 years. I am a contractor with no formal
benefits. I do have a room (literally a converted men's room -- there's
still a commode behind a piece of drywall) they call my "office", but I
keep tools and eat lunch there.

I tried for 3 years to convince them they need one full-time tech. 84
pianos in the conservatory and 30 more scattered around campus which I am
not contracted for but end up doing, for extra $$. 2 D's and one B on
stages. Although the faculty and admin. are supportive of the idea (and of
me), the answer is no. Like most colleges, they are into cutting benefits
and full-timers.

The first year I practically got ulcers. The second year, I thought, this
is crazy. So I lobbied hard -- by then I knew they liked my work, and we
are near Oberlin and Cleveland Institute of Music, so I could say, "Well,
Oberlin has..." It didn't work.

So I just told them, look, the pianos are never going to be all in tune at
the same time. They said fine. I give devoted service to the concert
pianos, and do what I can with the rest, using break times to frantically
catch up, and then doing what is necessary to get through the actual
school quarters. It's a small town, and being at the college guarantees me
endless outside work. What I DO do is make sure everybody knows what I'm
doing, and what my limitations are. I use my "office" door to post what
I've done, and what's next on the list. I know all the students, and
they're on my side, knowing I just can't get to everything but will bust
my tail to make them happy and tune the things with greatest priority.
They know that their recitals will be done on instruments in good tune and
regulation. It's not ideal for the pianos -- and on top of everything,
it's the most anti-piano building around, with steam heat and no
accessible thermostats -- but, once I got over the idea that I'm always
playing catch-up, it's livable and even nice.. I wouldn't want to be full
time. I can say, look, I've done what I can do, and go home and be with my
wife and kids (sometimes even tune my own piano).

I once said to the director, in a huff, "My whole job is just putting out
fires!!" He sighed, and said, "Would it interest you to know that my job
is about the same?"

I wouldn't want to be full time. I should add that the pay is excellent.
Mark Graham