soundboard ribs

Eliot Lee elee@amug.org
Mon, 06 Jan 1997 23:28:55 -0700 (MST)

Dear Seasoned Veterans,

        Last week I service a Monarch Baldwin console.  It was made in the
50's I think.

        The ribs of the soundboard were unglued and they fell off,
consequently the tone had a horrible buzzing particularly A3-A5.

        I showed them and told them that I would fix it on the next visit
and explained why the sound was so terrible.

        Now I am wondering what to do, should I glue them back on or attach
the ribs with wood screws.  On some pianos I had noticed wood washer
things, and thought those might be needed too.

        Please give me an idea on what you would recommend.  Anything to
stop the buzzing.  Two of the ribs on the right side were completely
removed.

Thanks,

Eliot

G. Eliot Lee
Phoenix, AZ
elee@amug.org
(602) 957-1711

"The force that guides the stars guides you too."