Yamaha Silent Piano

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 19:38:20 -0700 (MST)

Dear Charles:

Voicing is the best answer to this kind of situation.  Notice, I did
not say problem.  If one is concerned about control on soft playing,
which is obviously the case here, Voicing the tone power down gives
the pianist much more control in pianissimo playing.  If you do this
with the customers permission, you will not need to bring up the
regulation limitation.  You will become the hero, she will thank you,
and Yamaha will thank you (I think).

Pianos which use the typical european hammer butts with spring attached
usually cannot have let-off any closer than 4 or 5 mm for fear of
blubbering on soft blows anyway, especially when the flange bushing
resistance is a little low.  The additional amount of increased let-off
is not that much in this perspective.

Jim Coleman, Sr.