Accuholism- New machine for TunerJeff (gasp!)

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sat, 04 Jan 1997 20:13:54 -0700 (MST)

Hi Steve:

I use a split mute for tuning vertical pianos.  You know, the kind
with the blue steel flat handle?  This works fine if you tune the unisons
to the center string by ear.  You only move the mute once for each note.
For a vertical, place the short side of the split wedge on the right side
of the unison and the thicker longer point of the wedge on the left side
of the unison.

If you wish to tune each individual string with the machine, then you can
make a split wedge out of a standard 1/2" wedge with wire handle.  With
this you can rotate the wedge easily for muting off each side string as
you need to.  After tuning the center string (as above), use the short
side to mute off the right two strings while you tune the left side
string, then rotate the wedge to block off the left two strings while
you tune the right string.  For the few notes above the treble plate strut
where there is little space above the dampers, you can reach in and raise
three dampers at a time to place the plit wedge back underneath the
dampers.  This procedure is simpler than trying to use two wire handled
wedges.

Jim Coleman, Sr.