Mysterious blocking notes

Aaron Bousel abousel@rocler.qc.ca
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 18:41:53 -0500

List,
Ron Torrella's request to use my original post in his chapter newletter
about blocking notes on a S&S M made me realize that I'd:
1. Never responded to all the responses I got, and
2. Never thanked all the people who responded.

So,
2. Thankyou to all who responded.  The response was terrific.  Don't know
how I exisited before without this list.

1. I have not had the opportunity to get back to the piano since my original
post.  I have spoken to my client and as I mentioned in my post, he's taken
the step of calling the local S&S dealer, who has sold him on a Dampp-Chaser
system.  He believes that this might relieve the problem.  I doubt it, but
it certainly won't hurt things.  Since I've been to see the piano, as far as
I know, the problem has only occurred once on one note, and he plays it a lot.

In terms of the suggestions I received:

Many of you suggested looking at the backchecks for possible interference
with the hammer tail.  I checked that out thoroughly and had already
dissmissed it as a possiblilty.  Besides, it doesn't seem to happen on a
hard blow.

The two most likely areas seem to me to be concerning action parts
alignment, i.e. spread, and the repetition spring sticking in the slot of
the balancier.  When I next get back to the piano, I will check these things
out and if a solution presents itself, I will surely post it to the list.

I wish I could give you the answer to this problem (as Ed Foote did with his
riddle--can we have more of those?--that was fun) but for now I'll have to
leave it there.  Thanks again to all who responded.
Regards,

Aaron Bousel
Ormstown, QC  Canada
abousel@rocler.qc.ca