american tuners

FSSturm@aol.com FSSturm@aol.com
Sat, 04 Jan 1997 13:32:42 -0500

Estimado Senhor Carlos Gustavo Kersten,

 I am curious to know what comments technicians in Brasil would have to the
article you quoted, about a norteamericano pianist who presumed to bring
"Steinway expertise" to South America due to the lack of knowledge and skill
he perceived there. I think I would speak for most of us here in the USA in
saying that we know next to nothing of conditions south of our borders. I
know there is a high level of musical culture in Latin America, and that the
piano plays a prominent role.

Are there adequate tuner/technicians? Is there a formal system for training?
testing and certification? Where do you get parts? What piano makes are most
prominent, and from where?

I spent a year in Brasil in 1965 (was 12 years old at the time), mostly in
Sao Paulo, but travelled to Rio, Belem, Manaus, Brasilia, Porto Alegre, etc.
A beautiful country. A couple years ago pianist Fernando Lopes of Campinas
came here to Albuquerque, New Mexico to give a concert with violinist Ayerton
Pinto. I tuned for them, had nice conversations, and played some Villa Lobos
piano works for senhor Lopes (Cirandas, Ciclo Brasileiro. I "specialize" in
Latin American piano music). Perhaps you know them.

We also have a Brasilian Flute Professor here at the University of New
Mexico, Tadeu Coelho, likewise from Campinas. The University has an emphasis
in Latin American studies, and has exchange programs with a couple
universities in Brasil. Music professors from here have gone to Brasil to
give concerts the last two or three years, and I think at least once to
Petropolis. Violist Nancy Uscher, violinist Leonard Felberg, and flautist
Tadeu Coelho went as I remember, perhaps others as well.

Ate logo,
Fred Sturm
Albuquerque