Needing help with Billings Flanges

Fri, 03 Jan 1997 15:31:35 -0800

Barb,

I think he's talking about real Billings flanges, not the Chickering,
Kimball (et al) style brass flange rail to which you seem to be referring.

My question would be are the new butts to be used on the old flanges?  If
so, look to major problems with age/wear on the flanges themselves re:
traveling.

There were, however, several styles of the Billings flange in use at
various times, so one size does not fit all.

Someone used to make an upright action stack kit.  Perhaps that would be
another solution.

Best.

Horace

At 07:38 PM 1/2/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I've never had any trouble with these flanges, but I've always worked
>on pianos with the original butts.  I just pop the butts in, put on a
>new clip and they line up just fine.  As far as I know, there is no way to
travel
>them.  The only solution if the shanks/hammers don't line up is to
>use a shank bender.
>
>Also, make sure you have the right kind of clips (if you ordered new
>ones). There are two kinds of clips, one with a threaded hole and one
>not threaded.  You need to make sure you have the right ones.
>(They should be exactly like the old ones.)  You probably know all
>this, but ...
>
>I'm assuming you checked the brass rail to make sure there are no
>little cracks in the parts that match the clips.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Barb Barasa
>Ashland OR (the underwater capital of the world)
>

>> I'm rebuilding an upright action that uses Billings flanges.  I'm wondering
>> how to go about traveling the new butts.  (I've never replaced an entire
set
>> of these)  The old ones don't appear to have any travel paper on them.
I had
>> expected the new ones (purchased from APSCO) to be a bit more precise.
>>
>> Can the metal clips be twisted, or should I sort them by whether they
travel
>> to the left or right?  I've got the action rails stripped down except for
>> guide hammers (and dampers) at the ends of each section.  I screwed the new
>> butts onto the rail, and they're all over the place.  I'd appreciate any
help
>> available.  Thanks.
>>
>> Gordon Large, RPT
>> Mt. Vernon, ME