Billings Flanges revisited

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Fri, 03 Jan 1997 00:37:21 -0800 (PST)

List,
	I once read a tech tip in the Journal about *born-again brass*,
they called it.  I too have been frustrated with brass flanges and the
studs on the rails crumbling.  This article basically stated that brass can be rejuvinated by carefully heating it red and then slow cooling it.

	I took a brass rail, tried it and it works.  The brass is
rejuvenated.  If the little brass clips are split replace them.  If the
studs are falling off, then heat the rail.  There are a few things that
I never totally figured out and I am now of the opinion that when the
piano is that old, just walk off.  For those who care to experiment,
here's a new topic.
	The main problems were:
1.  Alignment
2.  Rail warping (when the rail is screwed back in, it goes back straight
but I still don't like it doing that.
3.  Rail oxidation.  I understand that if the rail is coated with baking
soda prior to heating that it won't oxidize but I haven't tried it yet.

Ron Shiflet
	Even though the brass was rejuvenated, there were other problems
such as alignment, etc. that never satisfied me.  I would be interested
to read other comments.

Ron Shiflet