A can of worms, a brief reply

Greg Newell gnewell@en.com
Thu, 02 Jan 1997 22:11:11 -0500

David Miller wrote:

> To the list:
>
> I didn't intend to add my 2 cents to the whole discussion, since it's off
> topic

[Huge Snip}

IBM and Microsoft are not allies, as your note implies. IBM did not
> team up with Microsoft and have Windows designed as a competitor.

Actually, Yes they did! It was cowritten and developed at first
and Gates/Microsoft broke agreement and brought it to market before they
could both agree it was ready. As for OS/2 , Gates himself calls it a
better OS than either Windows.

ed
> to go their own route with OS/2 and failed.
>

> To each his own. Personally, having spent years wasting my time fiddling with
> CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to configure PC's while running Macs alongside, I'm
> happy that I can work exclusively on Macs in my current job. I would never
> consider purchasing a Windows-based PC for any of my personal or professional
> work... :)
>
> David Miller
> dmiller@cloud9.net

to each his own