Hide glue tech tip

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Thu, 02 Jan 1997 01:43:26 -0800 (PST)

List,
	I've mentioned this before but it works so good that I'm posting
it again.

1.  When I buy hide glue, I empty the bag of glue crystals into a can
that was used for powdered baby's formula.  (Similac, Prosobee, Isomil,
etc.  Most of these cans are 14oz and a pound of glue still fits...don't
ask me how ).  The open and close plastic lid combined with the scoop
they provide is perfect.  Evenly measured glue every time without
spilling 1crystal.  If you drop the can, the lid will NOT pop off.  Even
if you can't find a can and have to buy one and throw the formula out,
it's the best $6.00 tool you'll ever buy.

2.  When I mix up a batch of glue,  I use a cleaned out baby food jar.  I
stir it with a hammer shank.  If I don't have a baby at the time, I'll
spend the 33 cents, eat the applesauce myself, and use the jar.  I'm not
brave enough to try the peas & carrots !!!

3.  As for the expensive glue pots, I've never seen the need.  I bought a
small coffee cup warmer at K Mart for $5.00.  I sit the bottle of glue on
it and it keeps the temperature absolutely perfect.   When I'm done, I throw the bottle away.  No mess...ever.

	I challenge the people on this list to try this method and
critique it !!!.  It's cheap, neat and extremely organized.

Ron Shiflet, RPT
Phoenix Chapter