Digital pianos for institutional settings?

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:09:23 -0600

At 05:04 PM 2/25/97 -0600, you wrote:

>	Anyone have any experience with long-term use of digital pianos in
>colleges, etc. I'm looking to decrease the number of pianos requiring
>tuning here and wonder how digitals would hold up in TA studios over the
>long haul. Thanks for any info.

John,
	There's a good "Consumer Report"-type magazine called "Digital Piano
Buyer's Guide" available from some dealers. It's worth getting.
(510)653-3307 is the phone for the circulation dept. at "Electronic
Musician", the publisher. Tell 'em you're a school and they likely give it
to you free.
	The life-span of a digital is NOTHING like that of an acoustic, and can't
really be compared, investment-wise, over the long haul. ALSO, even though
I sell them, you can't develop the same interactive feedback loop with a
digital that you can with a real piano. In other words, the quality of the
brain food is less, and the student suffers.
	Now this is not to say that digitals don't have a value. It's just less.
Digitals are good tools, and combined with computers, the possibilities are
endless. It's a tough call, but based on money, the answer is to remain
acoustic.
	By the way, when looking at digitals, don't listen to anybody but
yourself, AFTER you've really played them ALL. Fair is fair.
Guy Nichols, RPT, chapter 799
nicho@lascruces.com
	can you say "NO help"? sorry if your time was wasted with this post