Steinway Wippens

Donald E. Mannino DonMannino@worldnet.att.net
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 17:24:25 -0800

Avery and list:

>> Has anyone heard of any problems with them, especially relating to =
action spread, how well they work as compared to the regular Steinway =
wippens, etc.? These seem to be OK.<<

My experience was that dimensionally they were great, but that the =
spring works differently so the action feels different. Maybe not worse =
to some people, but different.

In a standard butterfly spring the upper end of the spring slides along =
the groove in the repetition lever. This gives the spring slightly =
better mechanical advantage on the rep lever as the lever is depressed. =
It also gives a very gradual increase in spring tension as the rep lever =
is depressed, and the increased tension works together with the improved =
leverage to create very good repetition.

With the Herz spring, the spring location on the rep lever remains the =
same (at the adjusting screw), while the effective length of the spring =
is shortened when the rep lever is depressed. This leads to a greater =
spring deflection (the spring coil is wound up a little tighter). The =
system seems more "bound up" when in check than a normal butterfly =
spring, and it seems to require a tighter repetition lever center pin =
fit with low friction (i.e., lubricated) in order to get good =
repetition.

It is a subtle difference, but the end result to me was slightly less =
control, and a more finicky regulation of the action. By finicky I mean =
less forgiving - everything needs to be just right in order to perform =
well.

After installing a few sets (I forget how many - maybe 4 or 5) I decided =
to go back to the factory style springs.

Don Mannino RPT