Missed appointments

William W. Maxim wmaxim@gnn.com
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:51:30 +0000

I haven't solved the problem of missed appointments, either, but
fortunately yesterday's missed appointment was around the corner
from a church where contract work is due this month.  I very seldom
get missed appointments, but once when I suffered three in two
days' time, I put in my next news letter (which I use as a
reminder, all current clients get one during the course of a year)
that I was changing my policy and would be charging a service call
fee for missed appointments.  Having said that, I err on the side
of leniency.  In fact, I think I have only made the charge once.

A doctor's wife, a new client, was not there when I arrived, but
her cleaning help was.  They had not been informed, and so were not
inclined to let me in.  I handed them the bill after waiting over
15 minutes (I think it was 30).  I got the apologetic call for
rescheduling (she had not forgotten, but was held up with no chance
to call), no argument over the fee, and ended with a cordial
relationship.

Having said that, even though in one sense "my time is all I have
to sell" and it has been stolen, The good will of a referral has
the potential of multiplying income.  I value the cordial and
friendly relationships that I have built up with many and varied
people in this area over the past 27 years, more than a few
minutes' worth of one-time income.

One thing that may help is, when setting the time and date with the
client, I make it a practice to repeat the date (including day of
the week) at least twice during the phone conversation.  Then, if
the appointment was made over two weeks previously, I try to
confirm with a call.  That still is no answer for the housewife who
called in the morning and then stared at me blankly when I arrived
at the appointed time that very afternoon!

Bill Maxim
Maxim Services Co.

Satisfying discriminating musicians for over 40 years.