Historical Tuning

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:31:43 -0600 (CST)

I would respectfully like to add that for me the distinction of appropriate
use for equal/non-equal temperament has more to do with whether the music
is tonal or atonal than whether or not it was written in the 20th
Century. There is a lot of tonal 20th Century music.

A couple of years ago I tuned for and attended an all Roger Sessions
Piano recital. I could not imagine a music more perfectly suited to ET,
and would never presume to be able to significantly improve its musical
effect simply by changing the temperament.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College