Nakamichi Piano

PianoBook@aol.com PianoBook@aol.com
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 18:19:56 -0500

<< I had someone ask me about Nakamichi pianos today.  I can't find any info.
 Anyone seen one, played one, tuned one, etc.

 Thanks.

 ----
 Rick Florence, Piano Technician
  Arizona State University School of Music
  Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu

Nakamichi pianos are now called Nakamura due to a trademark conflict with the
Nakamichi company that makes audio equipment.  The importer (Wilton Syckes in
Phoenix, AZ) says that the case, plate, and action are made in the Young
Chang factory and then the pianos are sent to a rebuilding shop in Hamamatsu,
Japan, where the pianos are strung and the hammers (Abel, I think) are
installed.  Other observers have told me that the entire piano is made by
Young Chang except for the hammers, which are installed in Japan.  Regardless
of where the truth lies, it's possible that the main benefit is the
additional prep and attention that the pianos can get from a rebuilding shop
vs. from the factory.  Although I haven't heard a lot about these pianos, the
few comments I have heard from technicians have been reasonably positive,
about what one would expect from a combination Young Chang/Japanese piano.
 The price is only slightly higher than the Young Chang and much less than a
Yamaha or Kawai.

Don Mannino: Do you have any additional information from your perspective as
a former Young Chang service rep?

Larry Fine