Chickering damper wire

DMCKECH DMCKECH@ithaca.edu
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:42:01 -0500 (EST)

List,

I am working on an old Chickering with the screw-in damper wires. During
the regulation process I managed to break a wire at the damper head. (I
should have done an archive search on the subject before attempting the
regulation. Les Smith gave a good procedure a while back.) Live and learn!

I have started a search for the correct size brass rod, and die for the
threads. My efforts will most likely yield something that can be used, but
the probability does not look good for an exact match. So far I have
visited the only local hobby shop, most machine shops and one instrument
repair shop. Any other ideas out there? (I prefer to keep it original and
not modify for a set screw.)

Obviously, what I would like to find is the real thing. Does anyone out
there have some spare Chickering damper wires that I can purchase? The
original diameter of the brass rod is .072. I believe the threads are
either 1x40 or 2x40. Any help greatly appreciated.

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College
dmckech@ithaca.edu