single vs. three string unisons (long)

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 18:33:00 -0700 (mst)

Dear Fred:

The reason I mentioned in my post that I tuned each string within .1
cents was this:  If the unisons are not tuned quite accurately, there is
more difference between the single string and the full unison.  I was
trying to eliminate that as a possibility for the cause of the difference.

I will continue to do additional studies on this.  I agree that sometimes
we see a difference in our completed unison from what we started with,
merely because in the process of tuning, we have knocked the first string
down a bit.  I have often had to go back and retune the first two
strings when I have just completed the third string.  The sagging
pitch of the full unison was the tipoff.  I am like you, I watch for this
more carefully now.

In the 3rd and 4th octaves, I believe it is possible to tune unisons more
accurately by ear than with the machine.  We can hear the 8th, 9th, 10th
or 11th partials often which helps zero in. But, in the 6th, and 7th octaves
I find that it is reversed except for the "wild string" effect where the
single strings actually vibrate at two different frequencies at once.  By
the way, the RCT cannot tune these more accurately than the SAT,
because the RCT apparently does an average of the pitches it hears, whereas
the SAT will actually display both pitches of a string, thereby permitting
you to tune each string to the higher or lower pitch. Have you
noticed the two dots wiggling back and forth on the SAT? It is showing both
pitches.  If this sounds confusing, let me know.  I can give you an example
of how this works and you can try it yourself.

Jim Coleman, Sr.