single vs. three string unisons(short)

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 19:25:41 -0500

In a message dated 96-10-27 19:13:35 EST, Bill Maxim, RPT writes:

>experimented with it and after tuning a unison, single strings
>consistently showed a few hundredths of a cent sharper than did the
>unison with the mutes pulled out.

The mutes are playing a role in this experiment, aren't they?  If you use any
type mute to dampen off a string, the mute diverts the dampened string ever
so slightly, in effect adding tension.  The diverting of the string is a real
phenomena. The mutes add tension to the two muted strings and removing them
slightly affects the pitch of the unmuted string.  When you remove the two
mutes, i.e. remove the tension,  that tension doesn't disappear, it becomes
shared with it's neighbor.  Two strings go slightly flat and one string goes
slightly sharper.  When  talking 2/100 of a cent, this is not an unrealistic
contribution from the mute.
This appears to me to be strictly a mechanical phenomena.

David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@aol.com