European tuning preferences

notan notan@itn.is
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 00:26:01 +0000

>> simon@husbands.demon.co.uk
>
>hello simon,
>I just wanted to tell you that I in Amsterdam feel exactly the same way,
>that is why I am connected to pianotech@byu.edu "the List".
>I was hoping to find technicians of many many nationalities but it seems
>that again the Americans are way ahead.
>Maybe this could act as a hint to hidden technicians all over the world to
>join the List and come out of their piano closets.
>So...where is the rest ? come on!
>

>friendly greetings from:
>
>André Oorebeek
>CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
>Hartenstraat 6-2 1016 CB, Amsterdam
>the Netherlands
>Tel/Fax: 020-6237357
>email: oorebeek@euronet.nl

Well here is one .. in Iceland of all places. The situation here is that
for many years the tuners here were all trained in Europe and when I came
to work here in 1986 they did not think I could be any good because I
trained in America. ( the Emil Fries piano hospital, one of the few
graduates who is not blind) Their opinion of American pianos was based on
the Baldwin and Kimball spinets and consoles so who can blame them for
thinking  America wasn´t the Mecca of piano technology. Anyway , I´m trying
to convince my fellow tuners here that an electronic tuning device can be
of use , and some tuners have been using the Yamaha PT-100 . I have tried
it and I am not happy with it but I have no comparison with other machines.
What I disliked about it was that it seemed to have a a hard time
"hearing" the bass notes and also it got very distracted by false beats.
Can anyone tell me how it compares with the SAT for example.

Greetings from:

Mr. Sindri Heimisson
piano technician
Engihlid 12