What's the buzz?

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:55:47 -0400

<< I just received a call from a customer who owns a new vertical piano of
 Korean origin, though for now, I'll leave the manufacturers name out of the
 post.

 She's experiencing intermitent buzzing.

 When I was there a month or so ago, I found a small area around the
 perimeter of the soundboard, which was not securely glued to the rim, and
 repaired it... I thought.

 Needless to say, the buzz is back.
.. . . . .
Is any one out there familiar with problems of this sort?

I've tuned a bunch. Once had a soundboard button (those round thingies on the
back side of the soundboard from the bridges) loose, tightening the screw did
the trick. I've also had seating problems at the bass bridge, bits of sawdust
hanging around the string, extraneous screws.

Intermittent brings to mind a Yamaha U1 I had to deal with. I made three
trips 30 miles out of town to look at the piano, and it never buzzed for me.
A Yamaha tech person told me to try pushing on the bottom board. Bingo! The
spring was just loose enough to buzz once someone bumped it with their knee.
A small strip of felt or leather fixes that.

Dave Stocker, RPT
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA