Tuners who don't play

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:03:23 -0400

>There have been a lot of comments about for instance: "Would you
>expect the lingeree salesman to wear lingeree?"  "Would you want
>the airline mechanic to fly the plane?"  In my opinion the
>answer is Yes!  Who is going to have a better understanding of women's
>undergarments than a salesperson who wears them?  If I had the
>choice I sure as hell would want my airplane mechanics to know
>how to fly.  This is simply more information and understanding
>of the machine/instrument.
>
>Willem,
>
>Your comment about after tuning 6 to 7 pianos not wanting to be
>near one is pretty clear.  Your tuning to much!

David:

While on the one hand I can see where you are coming from in that you should
 know the product you are servicing. But when it comes to concentrating on
the subject at hand,  would you rather have a pilot who spends his time
learning how to fly, or one who took the time to learn how to fix the plane?
Would you want to be operated on by a surgeon who read up on the latest
surgical procedures, or one who learned how to sharpen the scalpel? There is
only so much a person can do. Knowing the basics of a subject is one thing,
but learing the specifics to make it the best, is another. I greatly
appreciate the ability of some tuners who can play very well, and if they are
also expert technicians, it is even more impressive, but I don't think you
have to be great at both.

BTW, I tune an average of 5 pianos a day during most of the year, in that I
do about 25 per week, but I try to do all the tunings on 3 or 4 days, and
then spend 2 days in the shop.

Willem Blee RPT
St. Louis