Tuners who don't play

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 22:47:27 -0400

> why do not more of us who spend our lives
>caring for these beautiful instruments have more interest in
>learning to play?

I had piano lessons for about 4 years when I was in elementary and jr. high
school.  Then I had another year of "class piano" as part of my Music Ed.
Degree.  (major instrument was trombone).  So I can play a few
pieces,....sort of...

Certain things, like chromatic scales, did get much faster (I tell my
customers that it's due to osmosis) through tuning, and most of my customers
think that I MUST be able to play well based on the speed of a scale or two,
a I - IV - V - I chord progression, or phrase from some well known work.

For me, the main reason for not learning to play better now is because after
an 8 hour day of tuning pianos, one of the last things I'm likely to feel
like doing is practice.  I do still play trombone now and then, and while I
do enjoy it, I often feel that I should instead be working on pianos.

And of course, those pesky things (like family and friends) demand time  : )

Gordon Large, RPT
Mt. Vernon, Maine