No subject

Bill Maxim WMaxim@gnn.com
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 22:27:32 +0000

)
To: pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU,pianotech@byu.edu
Subject: Re: tuners who play
Cc: pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU

Jim:

You wrote:

>she came in with
>checkbook and said:  "Oh, do you play?".  I lied and said "no Mam".

Perhaps I also stretched the truth a bit when I referred to the
pianos I service with the general expression "these beautiful
instruments."  Actually, my list of pianos serviced has very few
that I go into ecstasy over when I am finished and try over my
tuning with a standard set of chords and then an improvisation.  But
there are a few where the labor of tuning is richly rewarded not
only by a paycheck but a few minutes to relax and let the piano do
its thing under my fingers, and experience the wonder that it is I
who am creating it!

I appreciated the response from so many, and identify with Willem
that after tuning 5-6 pianos neither am I ready to sit down in the
evening and learn some more piano playing!  Since I left college
(too many years ago) I have been getting out of practice and so have
no right to be judgmental.

It was satisfying to me to learn that our non-playing tuners in
South Carolina are not alone.  I have great respect for all of you
on the basis of the work you do, regardless of whether you can
perform at the piano.  If I gave the impression that we are
therefore better technicians if we can doodle and improvise as well
as "noodle," then I missed the mark.  Please forgive me.  I just
think you are missing some enjoyment, and have to make up in other
ways in order to sample the quality of the work you have performed.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Serving South Carolina from Greer and Columbia
Satisfying discriminating musicians since 1955