Tuners who don't play

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 20:18:25 -0400

Avery and list;
 My question about who should the work be done for was a comment on our own
proclivities (all of us).  Just as our own notion of the "correct tuning"
enters into our work, so does our own notion of the correct voicing or
regulation enter into our work. We should always try to satisfy our customers
desires even when we may not agree with what they might want. If we can't, or
won't, do that then we should refer them to someone who will.
  Teaching, various subjects, around the country has allowed me to fully
appreciate the great diversity of techniques and beliefs as to the "correct
way" to do things. Seemingly all of these techs doing things "their way" are
making their customers happy (at least they can afford to come to seminars).
I have never asked about whether persons in my class played or not but I
think I will start doing so and keep a numerical record for a while to get
some idea of percentages (playing techs vs. non-players)
  I can't help but believe that a tech who plays does indeed have a strong
tool for his 'kit' that might not be available for one who doesn't play
(Wim's "noodling" might make up for this lack).  I personally always check my
tunings by running scales with major and minor chords, with some noodling
thrown in, and the question very seldom arises as to whether I play. Perhaps
BT's one page is the answer.
  I don't know if playing makes a tuner a happier tuner, but I do know that
teaching a player to tune just enough to smooth out unisons, and temperament
basics, usually makes for a very unhappy player. When this person starts
listening to the individual notes of his music rather than the music itself
they have lost something of their ability to enjoy their own music.  How
about some of the 'players' commenting on this ?
Jim Bryant (FL)