HUGE pitch raise

Brucegang@aol.com Brucegang@aol.com
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 15:37:09 -0400

I'd go for it.  Check for any plate cracks or loose pins.  But if it appears
structurally OK then I'd do it.  I've raised pianos over a whole step flat in
the middle section and flatter in the treble.  Alert the customer to the
possibilities, ie broken strings, and make no guarantees except to make the
piano much better than it is now.  Make a quick pass without stretching too
far above A440 then do the whole treble section again.  Then with the damper
pedal depressed and all your mutes removed play parallel octaves from 1 to 88
and back down again repeating each note 2 or 3 times. This will really shake
it up and help it to settle down.  Then retune.  Again in 4-6 months.

I've been tuning for 17 years and have done this many times after a customer
says the previous guy said it couldn't be tuned or was going to do it in
increments.

Good luck.  Do your best

Gary Bruce, RPT