The Great Tune-off

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:37:39 -0700 (mst)

Jim Sr. wrote:
After all the scoring and during the tallying, I presented the brand new
Baldassin-Sanderson-Tremperament.  Recently Fred Tremper found a simpler
way to locate the B3 which is in the middle of the F to F octave.
This involves two trial 5ths instead of 4 trial 4ths as was done
previously.  I have found greater accuracy with this while tuning
aurally.  Marshall Hawkins, our PTG President came up with the name -
Baldassin Sanderson Tremperament.  Fred very modestly said: "I only
came up with one note."  But I think it is a very critical note.

Just to say something for the four fourths method, I have always
looked  at fourths as a more "important" interval when tuning the
temperament.  I like to get the major thirds and fourths (and M6ths) "right"
and let the fifths fall where they may, as they often don't sound
good even when they are "right".  Rick Baldassin has told me that
he and Al Sanderson had looked at using the two fifths when considering
other ways to come up with the B3, but decided against it because the
fourths are a higher priority interval than the fifths.

vince mrykalo  rpt mpt ba byu ut ha ha
To be is to do.-Socrates  To do is to be.-Sartre  Do be do be do-Sinatra