Barrie's Re; Experimental Results Constructive/Destructive Partials

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 01:39:29 -0400

Dear Barrie,

      Nope. They don't exist. In all honesty, it might just be a vicious
rumor. Most of the writing I've seen regarding even the concept of
constructive interaction between two string's partial segments contain
wriggling words like; "...it appears that" or "...some benefit seems to be
gained" or even;  "...perhaps",  mingled in with statements like; "further
experiments in this direction might yield beneficial results..." or "..it may
be found that...".

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help. (sigh)

Regards,
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff @ aol.com

ps-
    Thanks for your 'reporting' from across the Atlantic Pond, too. This
"virtual-world" brings us all a bit closer, doesn't it?
jef

What were we talking about?
TunerJeff@aol.com writes
>     I do find that after finishing a tuning, and striking a large &
friendly
>chord, the freshly tuned piano often seems to have an enormous ...well...
>strength to it's sound... and often carries a corresponding increase in
>sustain. Don't you? I have always been taught, and understood, that this is
>partially due to the idea that the strings, being in tune, actually
>re-inforce each other's vibrations. Wouldn't this argue well for the
>'conservative' theory? And signify some truth towards the notion that the
>opposite (...destructive interference rather than constructive, as it
'twere)
>might well follow?
>
>Thanks for your time,
>Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
>Oregon Coast Piano Services
>TunerJeff @ aol.com
Hi Jeffrey,

That's quite an interesting theory you have there.  do you know of any
experiments which have been carried out to confirm this theory, which on
face value seems extremely plauseable.  Not to say that it matters to us
as tuners which is correct tuning correct octaves or slightly stretched
octaves, its what the customer requests.  I must admit none of my
customers have actually requested me to tune the octaves any different
than what I have been doing in the past, however, on the other hand if
they don't know any different I don't suppose they would ask any rode.

Regards,

Barrie.
Endit