Tune-Off

JPDraine@aol.com JPDraine@aol.com
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 17:02:41 -0400

Dear Jim:
I found your most recent posting regarding the Chicago tuneoff very
enlightening, especially the following quote:
 "He has won the argument with me about a single string being sharper than
the full unison.  I set out to prove him wrong and in the process discovered
that he is right primarily in the section from the upper portion of the 4th
octave on into the lowerpart of the 6th octave."
As someone who regularly uses the SAT I've often scratched my head after
having tuned all three strings of a note by SAT, quite solidly I thought, and
then later rechecked the full unison with the SAT to find it slightly flat
when I *knew* that the pitch change had been minimal, and the strings and
pins had felt quite stable!
Thank you for your detailed analysis of Virgil Smith's tuning and theories.
Patrick Draine RTT
Billerica, MA