Tune-Off (long)

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 19:15:47 -0700 (mst)

Dear Dean Reyburn and Bill Ballard:

Bill asks an interesting question, namely:  "Is this the first time
Virgil Smith's tuning has been captured?

I'd like to try to answer that.

I've been to a number of classes of Virgil and inspite of my
disagreements with him over a few things, I have heartily supported,
promoted, and encouraged him.  He has won the argument with me about a
single string being sharper than the full unison.  I set out to prove
him wrong and in the process discovered that he is right primarily in
the section from the upper portion of the 4th octave on into the lower
part of the 6th octave.

As I began tuning downhill from the break at about D5, I used the SAT
which was sitting on top of the MAC-RCT to get quickly into the
ballpark.  I refined the tuning, keeping in mind that the single string
I was tuning would be at a different pitch when the unison was completed
by ear (not because of a settling of the strings, but as mentioned
above).  When a unison was completed, if I had not properly estimated
how much lower the full unison would be, I would redo the three strings
until the final unison would be right with the machine.  For those
who use the RCT, I can detail a little better how I estimate this drift.
By the time I was 7 notes lower, I could then use the 5th above to
quickly zero-in aurally, then refine with the SAT, then refine with the
RCT.  By the time I got down to G4, it was no longer necessary to
estimate the sharp drift of the center string so that it would be right
when the full unison was played.

I incorporated this knowledge in my 2 tunings.  Score 1 for Virgil.

Virgil often has made the statement that because he listens to the
whole tone and its effect on the fundamental pitch of a note, he can
tune all single, double, and triple octaves pure.  Frankly, I have
struggled with this explanation.  Those of us who use electronic aids
just KNOW that this cannot happen  -- or could it?  Well, after
analyzing aurally what Virgil is doing when he tunes, I decided that I
could make a closer approach to this by putting more stretch in my
single octaves and double octaves to avoid the disparity with the
triple octaves.  The No. 8 stretch which I used provided .6 beats in
the A2-A3 octave and the same in the A3-A4 octave.  It also provided
usually a slight stretch in the double octave up to the top of the
piano.  As I was tuning, I noticed that sometimes even the triple octave
was a little sharp, enabling the quad octaves to be closer in tune.  I
personally still think that this is what Virgil is really doing, but I
doubt that he would think of it in that way.  I still cannot hear
the beat between fundamentals which he claims to listen to, but who
knows, someday I may have to score another one for Virgil.

As Virgil was tuning in the afternoon,I had my RCT and SAT on the pro-
gram which I was going to use. I was able to track him very closely most
of the time.  Also, since he was retuning a piano which I had tuned
in the morning, we noticed that he did not need to make much change from
what I had left on that piano.  He definitely did change the temperament
a little, but it was all within the bounds of acceptability.  I was
pleasantly surprised that he could tune so accurately with my
machine, not having the ability to see it.  No, I did not copy the
record of his tuning, but it was very close to my idea of his type of
stretch.  That's why I said in a previous post that it ended up more as
a battle of unisons.

I should also say that when I tuned my piano in the afternoon, often
I did not need to change some notes where Virgil had tuned them in
the morning. So, you see that the scaling spread of the two tunings was
quite similar.  I believe the audience enjoyed the way we tuned the
pianos.  I would hope that some of them would pass on their remarks
for the benefit of the rest of us.

As I was tuning up from D#5, doing unisons as I went, I continued to
check the finished octave so that the end result was exactly with my
machine program.  I often checked to see that the single octave below
registered slightly flat to the note I was tuning, and the octave
5th and double octave 5th were well balanced on both sides. As I would
play the note 3 octaves below, its 8th partial was usually registering
right on with the note I was tuning.  In the top octave, there was a
little more variance in the triple octave match, but when it showed
flatter than the note I was tuning, the quad octave would sound even
better.  All unisons from D#5 up were tuned purely by machine, each
string individually.  This gave me impeccable purity in that area.

The Bass tuning always had definite stretch in the 4-2 relationship,
slight stretch of the 6-3 relationship and in the bottom octave
slightly exceeded the 8-4 relationship.  As a teaser, when I was
finished, I played 17ths down to the bottom octave and then switched to
double octave 7ths so everyone could hear how even the beat
progression was. I also played 17ths up the scale from the middle to the
top just to show off the evenness of their beat rate progression.  The
audience was speechless during my entire tuning.  I'm not quite sure
just what that means.

We have a very fine aural tuner here in Tempe by the name of Brent
Fischer whose tunings I have been analyzing aurally for a couple of
years.  I think that he is doing something quite similar to what Virgil
does, but does not explain it in the same terms.  Sometime I hope to
be able to analyze his tunings with the machine, or even maybe have
a Tune-off here in Arizona.  He is so busy, I don't know if it will
ever happen.  Both he and Virgil have been through the training sessions
at Steinway Hall in NY.  Many recordings on Steinways have this same
type of octave stretching.  Most of us have just been slow to catch on.

Jim Coleman, Sr.