TRAILER FOR MOVING PIANOS

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 07:24:23 -0400 (EDT)

>Anyone have any experience or knowledge with trailers that have some sort of
>height adjustment so that the top of the trailer can be lowered when empty or
>carrying a short piano, then raised to accomodate a tall one?  Any prototypes
>or experiments?  The purpose being to be able to drive with less wind
>resistance whenever possible and to be able to fit the trailer into a garage
>or under a carport when it is at the lower setting.
>Gary Bruce, RPT  (Oklahoma Chapter)
>brucegang@aol.com

I use a trailer for piano cartage.  Not only for the ease of low bed height,
but
insurance is included in the car. So low overhead.  As for a collapsable unit,
not a good idea; The top half would not have the strenght to secure a piano.
And I don't believe they are made to ride in the open position.
My rig was an old U-Haul open job which someone added a plywood enclosure.
Most people ask if there is a horse in there, but it accomodates even Steinway
Duo-Arts. The trick is to have a straight shot in from the roof.  All
trailers I've seen
have a header which is not tall enough.
Jon Page
Cape Cod. Mass