Tuning advocated by Bach's WTC

KCosALH1@aol.com KCosALH1@aol.com
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 19:04:21 -0400

Exactly what method of tuning was Bach advocating in his Well Tempered
Clavier?  Some variant of Equal Temperment, I suppose.  But since, according
to my Oxford Concise Dictionary of Music, Equal Temperment did not become
common practice (at least in England) until the mid-19th Century, and Bach
died in 1750, I wonder if there were not some sort of intermediate stage in
the development of keyboard tunings that was what Bach was specifically
aiming at.  Can you help me with this?  If so, please email me back at
KCOSALH1@AOL.COM
Thanks--
Andrew Hingston