soundboard shims

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:33:14 -0400

Gordon,
If you wish to cut your shims from "aged stock" perhaps you could cut them
from the old ribs off of the old soundboard you are planning on using.

I have never used your  "laminated stock" theory, although I don't see a
great problem with the idea.... provided that the glued surfaces are
meticulasly prepared.

OTOH, after trying many times to camoflage new shims with stains,stong
coffee<g>, etc. I finally gave up and learned to live with that look.
Besides, a beautifully fit shim(top AND bottom) is a mark of excellent
workmanship.  It shows you took the time and care to do it right rather than
just "slap in some putty" . Most surguries leave a scar. Mine did. Don't
worry about it.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
Huntington, WV