Reed Organ Addendum

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sat, 12 Oct 1996 10:35:04 -0400 (EDT)

I left out one thing in my earlier post on reed organs. While it's true
that it's very difficult to find anyone who tunes and services reed organs
anymore and replacement parts are virtually unobtainable, the construction
and mechanics of the reed organ are simple enough that a talent piano or
player-piano tech could learn to repair and rebuild them on a do-it-
yourself basis. The standard reference work on reed organ servicing, tun-
ing and rebuilding is "Restoring and Collecting Antique Reed Organs" by
Horton Presley. Published by the  Vestel press, it's available in paper-
back for about $10. If you're the kind of tech that enjoys self-inflicted
pain and suffering; if you entertain the idea of do-it-yourself root-canal
work, then reed organ servicing and rebuilding may be for you. Best of all
you won't have to worry that the income you derive from it will put you
in a higer tax-bracket. Believe me, IT WON'T! :)

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net