Subj: Yamaha Repinning Question

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 07 Oct 1996 12:23:23 -0400

Robb;
 I think that perhaps you have succumbed to a myth that might have grown out
of a selling point/benefit.
  Yamaha sale persons were/are taught to point out that Yamaha uses cut
thread tuning pins exclusively. (I do not recall ever being told by anyone at
Yamaha that no other manufacturer used cut thread pins and their literature
does not state such)
  As for installing new pins in a Yamaha, pound them in, Yamaha does. I do
prefer drilling the old block to reaming the old block, but both techniques
work. I have found that drilling the block produces fewer 'jumpy/popping'
pins.
Hope this opinion helps.
Jim Bryant (FL)
P.S. If you ever get any more pins with cross threads I recommend that you
not use them except for paper weights or as a veneer press.