Cross-country piano move

Jeff Stickney jpage@selway.umt.edu
Mon, 07 Oct 1996 08:11:54 -0600 (MDT)

>>...While it is true that some pianos seem little affected when moved, I
>>know of two specific instances where I moved one console less than a foot
>>and another console across the room after a tuning.  This distorted the
>>tuning recognizably beyond belief...

>Dear List,
>
>I got to thinking about that "console across the room."  I was incorrect to
>state that.  It was a move I did from one town to another with smooth
>roads, the distance about 25 miles.  I tuned the piano before leaving.
>When I arrived and put the piano in its new place, the tuning was
>atrocious, like some pianos I visit that haven't been touched for five
>years.
>
>Thank you,
>Keith

Sy, Keith, et al,
        I once had the experience of tuning a console piano on a stage, and
after moving it offstage for storage noticed when I played it that the
tuning was definitely "out".  I moved it back to the location where it was
when I tuned it, and it was back "in".  All I can figure is that the floor
was uneven and placed a different stress on the piano.  Strange indeed.  I
have also had the experience of moving my own grand from Nebraska to
Montana, setting it up and having it sound just fine - until the humidity
change kicked in.  Just more food for thought.
Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu