Insurance for tuners

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 07 Oct 1996 08:23:11 -0400

>Just out of curriosity is your public liability insureance included in
>your membership fee or is it something you have to take out separate.
>
>The public liability insureance I carry comes included with my
>membership fee.  It consists of two million puunds public liability
>which has the usual insureance get outs.  Also we have a musical
>instrument insureance for twenty five thousand just in case the frame
>goes when you are tuning an old piano this also is included with
>membership fee.
>
>Also here you need public liability insureance if you are engaging any
>work for Local Authorities or Schools.
>
>I'm surprised to see that your public liability insureance is only a
>million dolloars.  Does your public liability insureance, not protect
>you from injury to a third party?  i.e. your are rushing down the base
>of a grand the mono chord breaks and grots the little four year old sat
>in the corner are you covered?

Barry:

The only way the PTG is involved with the insurance is that the PTG allows
the insurance company to solicit the members. Any insurance has to bought by
the individual member. (As part of PTG membership dues, every member has a
$1000 life insurance policy).

In general there are no requirements for tuners to cary insurance of any
kind. However, I worked for one school systems where they asked if I had
insurance, but didn't require that I show proof. I don't do enough school
work to know if it is required. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

As far as $1,000,000  work of liability. I guess no amount is enough, but as
I said, I cary it not because I am gong to do something wrong, but to pay the
lawyer to defend me.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis