Yamaha Repinning Question

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 07 Oct 1996 08:07:41 -0400

> If I repin with Yamaha threaded pins, I'll need two or
>three different sizes, unless I ream and destroy the threaded
>grooves. Any replies would be appreciated.

Rob

I had to repin a new Samick grand once with uneven pin torque. The problem
was in the drilling of the block, but either the dealer didn't want to send
the piano back to the factory, or the factory didn't want to bother with the
problem, and though it would be cheaper for me to repin it.

In any case, because there was so much difference in torque through out the
piano, and so as not to repeat that problem by just installing a bigger
tuning pins, I meansured the torque on each pin, and then replaced that pin
with a larger one according to how loose the pin was. If the torque was 20
inch/pounds, I would put in a 0000, if it was 35, I put in 000, if it was
over 50, I left it alone.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis.