Tuning Stability : Boston GP-178

John Peters jpeters9@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 05 Oct 1996 23:28:30 -0700

At 08:38 AM 9/26/96 -0400, you wrote:
>List,
>
>Anyone experienced tuning stability problems on the top 2 registers of a
>Boston GP-178? I am led to believe that Kawai is notorious for problems such
>as this. Wondering is it is a friction problem.  (?)    The understring felt
>is mighty thick. The strings don't "feel" like they are setting properly. I
>experiemented with a little "SLIDE-ALL" (tm) and the string seemed to render
>more evenly.
>
>Joshua G. Harper
>Jgh71@aol.com

I've had some similar concerns after tuning a number of Boston grands..most
of which were new and tuned at Sherman Clay.  My first guess was that
strings weren't given much opportunity for stretching at the factory
(perhaps the employees aren't either...).

John Peters, RPT
Berkeley, CA
jpeters@netcom.com