Historical Tuning

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Sat, 05 Oct 1996 23:33:48 -0400

Hi List,

Fortunatly or unfortunatly( depending on your point of view) I am seldom
 required to tune in any system other than equal temperament.

Now-a-days I'm finding myself with more  time for experimenting and such with
other temperament schemes,e.i,
Werkmeister III, Kirnberger III , Marpurgs#1, et al.

My question for those of you who routinely work with these types of tunings
is this-- What temperaments are appropriate for what time frames( e.i. early,
middle, late baroque, early classical, etc.)  appropriate for what composers,
parts of the world. Which, if any, are totally inappropriate for modern
instruments.

I know these are novice type questions( read dumb). I own Jorgensons
books,etc as well as others. Just wondering what sage advice the list might
offer.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
Huntington, WV