Warranty on Rebuilding

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 03 Oct 1996 20:22:24 -0400

Loren:

I offer a customer 1 year guarantee on all parts and labor, provided I take
care of the piano. I have never had any major problems.

That is what I tell the customer, and it is written on the contract. However,
If I am taking care of a piano after I rebuilt it, I have taken care of minor
problems many years after I did the work, if I thought it is something I
might not have done right the first time. Sometimes the customer didn't even
know there was a problem, but I took care of it anyway. If the customer did
notice a problem, I usually take care of it free.

I did have a situation where a customer wanted me to reimburse him $1800 for
a new set of wippens another tuner put on, stating I didn't do that to work.
I got out of paying for two reasons, One it was more than one year after I
completed the work. And two, because another tuner worked on the piano, it
voided the gurantee. Furthermore, I told him, you never called me and asked
if this work was needed, or asked how much I would charge to do the work. I
never heard from him again.

If you do quality work, you should not have to worry about giving the
customer a warrenty or guaranty. Even if you have to do some work later,
taking care of a problem is better for your reputation, than trying to get
out of doing the work, because the guaranty ran out.

WIllem Blees  RPT
St. Louis